Wednesday, October 8, 2008

See and Wash

So over the past month resonate has done a series of sermons about the postures of Christ. While some were good (there were four) two really stood out to me.

See and Wash! How simple can two words be. But in the place I am at right now both of these words resound in my heart.

To be seen and to see others. For the first time in about three years i am making new friends, and meeting alot of new people. Nac. Is only so big and when you find a good group of friends, you keep them. I was that lucky i had four or five really close friends in college, girls that let me into their hearts and knew mine as well. I move to this city about the same size as nac. at least in my mind and find that my friend making skills are there but lacking. Letting people see you for value is hard, letting people see you with faults is hard. but then I realize this is where God wants me so be really Liz!! come on! So i grow up and be the girl, women God created me to be.

In the process of growing up i realize that if i want others to look at me and really SEE who i am SEE the value God has given me, SEE the art I create in my daily life, SEE faults that make me human, SEE my scares that show growth in God. I must first be willing to see them for all of these things as well. To look at people on the street and give their words value, to meet students and give their passions worth, to talk to people before resonate starts and give their hearts and their lives the time and energy to really care about what is being said. Not just the casual nod or the ever so meaningful "I'm good" but truth and that means sometimes it is messy and sometimes it is neat with a bow on top but it is who i am and it is who they are!

To see past the casualness of the everyday and into the heart of the matters. To see where they are coming from and why they came that route. To see the longing in their eyes and the worth that is to be had.

A week later Keith talked on wash, some might think wash the feet got it serve. But do you serve to glorify your self or God. Do you serve to show you are humble or because you truly are, do you serve to boost your pride or because serving allows the focus to be shifted from you to God.

PRIDE - man hit me in the gut, pride gets in the way of so many daily trails of my life. Simple task become complex because of pride, Pride hinders God from getting the glory and makes me the center of attention. LAME!

I desire to not be seen or heard for the words i say and the actions i complete but for the God who gives me the strength and the life to complete each of the tasks from day to day. How do you serve someone when it is all about ones self? can you? or is that even serving? I dont think it is i think it is serving when the other is placed before me. When I am no longer searching my own heart for areas where i need satisfaction and worth but realizing that my worth is guaranteed from God and that my serving is a way to put others first to SEE their hearts and meet their needs.

They go so hand in hand, I choose to see you and to wash (serve) you. I daily give up all the right i think i have and place God as number one, giving him all the glory and honor. Because i in and of myself can do neither serve or wash on my own. Through Christ I can bring God glory in both!

Wow, these two topics have been rocking my world. I mean how do you do this what does this mean. I want to live in a way that daily i am seeing the value in people not their dots and starts, and to (i would say wash people but that sounds weird) serve people. and doing all of this with no selfish ambition, with no personal guarantee of satisfaction. To live the life of the postures of Christ.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this! Hope you're having a great week! I miss you friendyfriend!!!

Kristin

Anonymous said...

Wow, Liz! You dad and I stand in awe of your insight. It is wonderful to watch God use you. We love and miss you.

Mom and Dad

PS Thanks for the 1am call. It was so good to get to chat w/you.

Anonymous said...

Liz, I like your mom and day you blow me away with your insight. Go granddaughter, I love and miss you. Nannie

Anonymous said...

Wow Liz! Isn't God good. Whoever thought your journey would be so revealing. This is such a great time of growth for you in the Lord. We miss you. I pray for you daily.

Love ya,
Angela